From the Journal of Jack Simpson

Shrapnel Valley, Gallipoli

30 April 1915

I am Jack Simpson and I am very upset because my

best friend died because I could not make it to him in

time.

Yesterday I found a donkey and I named him Duffy.  We

get to the hurt soldiers much faster so the people do not

die.  As we were walking along the rocky, bumpy path to

get a soldier I heard a scream from nearby.  We found

an injured soldier who was my friend from school.  He

rode on my donkey and I supported him.  When we got

back down there were no stretchers left for my friend

and no doctors ready to help him so he died. I feel so

sad, he is the last friend I have.  At night he would cry to

himself, he felt so lonely and afraid.

As I roll around on the ground to get comfortable I think

how upsetting the war is.

By Mackenzie

No comments:

Post a Comment